Sunday, August 30, 2009

I've Been Lied To

Let me start by saying that I got a new cook book in the mail. It's a cooking text book full of wonderful techniques, recipes, and history. This book led me down the rabbit hole. I was flipping through it this week trying to decide where to start reading when I found a recipe for ranch dressing. Being my favorite I decided I had to make it. This is where the trouble started.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and remembered I needed Worcestershire sauce for the recipe. I started checking the labels only to find that every single brand at Meijer's had high fructose corn syrup. I was shocked. I mean, I know it's hiding around every corner, but I never guessed here. It's not in the soy sauce I'm using. I even checked all of the bottles a second time to make sure I wasn't misreading them (silly, I know).

I headed over to Naturally Yours next. I figured I was saved! No luck, but the friendly staff told me they could order it if I could find one. Now the hunt is on.

Anyone know of a Worcestershire sauce without high fructose corn syrup?

1 comment:

Greg and Carol said...

Hey, Monkey! I was googling Chef Brian Bowman and your blog came up. I too took a class at Vrooman with him a year (or could it be 2?) ago and I have a question on one of his recipes. Do you perhaps know how to get ahold of him? It was a Tapas class and the recipe is the Stuffed Dates.
You can reach me at:
carol9093@gmail.com