Monday, August 13, 2007

Thyme To Eat Local




Tonight's dinner started out as a craving. I've been thinking about those cute little potatoes from the Farmer's Market and how good they would be roasted in a little butter. I was also thinking, I have pizza crust that needs baked. While potatoes on pizza sounds promising, I don't think my usual thin crust pizza can handle the weight. It's definitely an idea that's getting filed away. While making dinner, I remembered that I'd seen a sign at the Farmer's Market this weekend advertising an Eat Local Challenge. A trip over to there website revels that...


In honor of National Farmers’ Market Week (August 5 - 11), we are looking for members of the Bloomington-Normal community who will pledge to eat at least one meal composed of Illinois-grown food during the month of August.

Sounds easy, 1 day in a 31! I can handle that, even if the month is almost half over. I know there's
bloggers out there that do this more often. So, as a challenge to myself, I'm going to try do it once a week, until the Farmer's Market closes in October.

The main ingredients in tonight's meal were all local. I say main ingredients because, well, while I enjoy eating good, local food, I haven't ventured into grinding my own grains. I also used a bit of fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, while the cheese wasn't made locally, I did by it from a local merchant here in town!

I started out by washing and cutting the cute little potatoes into bite size morsels. I can't remember the variety, but they have a taste that puts Yukon Gold's to shame and they are the size of new red potatoes. They went into a oval crook with about 2 tablespoons of organic salted butter, a few pumps of cracked peppercorns, a hearty amount of dried thyme, and a dash of dried basil. Since the stone was heating in the oven, these little beauties went into the toaster oven on 450. Don't forget to toss them every 10 minutes. They're ready when fork tender, about 25 minutes later.

While the potatoes where cooking I rolled out the pizza dough. It's a variation of the pizza crust I've still been trying to perfect. I'm now making the pizza's individual sized, so everyone gets crust pieces! Pizza though, is a shiny object, so let's get back to the dough. Once the dough is rolled out paper thin, I brushed it with about a tablespoon of that organic butter I mentioned earlier and poked it with a fork, because I don't yet have one of these cool gadgets. After I grated a thin layer of
Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, I slide it onto a stone in a 500 degree oven. About 3 minutes later I pulled it out and topped it with a dash of olive oil, dried thyme, basil, and grated brick cheese from Ropp Jersey Cheese. It's is another shiny object, but one I haven't gotten the chance to talk about yet. So, while the potatoes are roasting a bit longer, let me tell you about them. I found them at the Farmer's Market this year, a little stand just off the corner. It was love at first bite. It's the best cheese I've ever eaten, made right here in Central Illinois! Amazing cheddars -- Tomato Basil Garlic, Pizza, Dill, Bacon, Garlic!! They have both yellow and white, though I prefer the white. They also have amazing cheese curds! I was thrilled last week when Ken Ropp, along with his family, made a surprise appearance at my Italian Cooking class (offered at Vrooman Mansion - I hear a website is coming soon). What a treat, he brought fresh made ricotta cheese! I don't think I'll ever want to eat another ricotta. I look forward to trying a new cheese every time I visit the market!

It's about time to toss the potatoes one last time, put steak to cast iron, and slide the pizza back into the oven! The steak was a Flat Iron Steak from Heartland Meats. I cooked it for about 5 - 7 minutes is a searing hot cast iron skillet with about 1 - 2 teaspoons of organic coconut oil. The steak was seasoned with dried thyme and Lawry's, and cooked to a tender, juicy, medium rare. I pulled the pizza from the oven just before the steak was done. After plating the steak I heaped the potatoes on the side, making sure to pour the extra butter and seasoning on top of the steak. The breadstick-like slices of the pizza fit nicely on the side and are a fun break from a traditional 'steak and potatoes' texas toast style garlic bread. The combination of sweet, strong brick and
robust Parmigiano-Reggiano against herbs and a crunchy crust pairs superbly with the tender potatoes and juicy meat. The whole plate gets topped with crushed peppercorn and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Since I had a bottle of wine already open, I couldn't resist having a glass with dinner. In fact, I'm having a second glass as I write this! It's a lovely blush wine made right here in Illinois. Pink Catawba is from Peasant Hollow Winery in
Whittington, Illinois. It's a semi-sweet wine made from the pink catawba grape.

Tonight's dinner hit the spot, was ready in less then an hour, and was made as locally as it gets (for me)! I can't think of a better combination to end a hot summer day away from work. Now, don't be lazy, if you're from these parts, won't you join me in the Eat Local Challenge? Come on, who's up for it? Leave a comment and let me know what local treats you've been eating!

I just can't leave without mentioning the Vic Firth Salt and Pepper Mills in the picture at the top. I've been pheaning over these for years, and finally found them on sale! I love them, and I love the fact that they can be used one handed, so you can stir with the other!! They are filled with salt sea from Common Ground and Black Peppercorns from World Market.

2 comments:

Henny Penny said...

Does eating from your own garden count? This week I made a homemade tomato and hot pepper soup and the next day we had butternut squash.

monkey said...

It definitely counts! If I wasn't such a wussy about working in the yard, I might consider planting my own garden!

Ummm, tomato and hot pepper soup sounds delicious!